that old GNU/Linux argument

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 18:09:16 UTC 2008

Björn Persson wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I've forgotten the timing, but I don't think Posix had a full/useful
>> spec until well after Linux.  AT&T's SVID spec (published for sysvr4
>> around 1989) would have been about right.  Posix wasn't very complete
>> until 1995 or so.
>
> On the third of July 1991, Linus Torvalds asked in comp.os.minix where he
> could get the Posix standard. I suppose Posix has evolved since then, but
> apparently an early version did exist. (He wanted it for the system call
> specifications.)

Yes, there was some version of the Posix standard in that time frame.
It was just incomplete and described some mythical system that matched
no existing BSD or SysV flavor, so it was mostly ignored.  Sort of like
the previous and current Linux FHS versions that just move things around
arbitrarily without sufficiently describing a portable runtime
environment for an application.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com