that old GNU/Linux argument

Bjoern Schiessle bes at schiessle.org
Fri Jul 25 23:18:52 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> writes:
>> Who did that port?? Linus and his team?
>
> Most certainly.  I can't quite picture the GNU project putting
> resources into the early development of GNU+Linux to make the
> combination usable.  Linux was not perceived as a relevant kernel for
> the GNU operating system back then.

It seems like the FSF has at least funded the necessary rewriting:

"The GNU Project supports GNU/Linux systems as well as the GNU
system. The FSF funded the rewriting of the Linux-related extensions to
the GNU C library, so that now they are well integrated, and the newest
GNU/Linux systems use the current library release with no changes."

Source: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

best wishes,
Björn

--