a long rebuttal to the Linux-is-the-engine fallacy

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Sat Jul 26 16:16:21 UTC 2008

On Jul 26, 2008, Les <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:

>> why would they have bothered with rewriting a much smaller piece of
>> it?

> If it is really free, why does this last paragraph belong in your
> argument?

The argument about why it is correct to say that what some people
mistake for Linux is actually the GNU operating system?  I don't see
what this has to do with freedom.  Sure, they can use it, or write
something else.  But if they use it, that won't make it something
else, no matter how wonderful the kernel they use with it is.