that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Sat Jul 26 20:33:46 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have also found a page in which it clearly explains some problems with
> the GPL
> <quote from http://www.topology.org/linux/gpl.html>
> An analogy for the GPL would be the farmer who receives the gift of a GPL
> cow from a neighbour. The cow is completely free, but all of the milk from
> the cow must be given away for free, and all of the cow's calves, [...]

Yet another meaningless pseudo-analogy representing free software as gratis
material goods. People who want to blacken free software love that kind of
comparisons, but they only work on really clueless people who are completely
unaware of the fundamental difference between atoms and numbers. The analogy
collapses once you realize that information can not be moved, only copied,
and matter can not be copied, only moved.

If that represents the quality of www.topology.org, then I feel zero need to
look at that other page, "lingl.html".

Björn Persson