Minor GNOME and KDE menu annoyance

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:16:19 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 12:24:19 Tim wrote:
> The new menus were tedious and slow to use, in even more annoying ways
> than the old menus.  Who thought that click, wait, menus sliding out of
> site to be replaced with a submenu moving into the box, was going to be
> a useful thing to do?  It's as bad as the browse every folder in a new
> pop-up window that the *old* MS Windows and Amiga Workbench interfaces
> used.

You soon develop a different way of working.  Now I use the search facility
(if I know or can guess the name) or browse through the menu to find the
application the first time I need it.  Once it's found I elect to either
add it to 'favourites' - the front page of the menu
add it to the panel - if it's something I want instantly available, like
konsole or kwrite
add it to the desktop - which I generally don't do, as I like a clean desktop.

> While it's often touted that KDE gives you configurability that Gnome
> doesn't.  I've generally found Gnome's defaults not too bad,

Fine.  Each to his own.

Anne