Export and Import Printer configuration

TechList techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Sun Jul 27 21:31:34 UTC 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008 03:54:44 pm Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 09:03 -0400, TechList wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I used to use printconf-tui -Xexport and printconf-tui -Ximport to copy
> > printer configuration from one machine to another so that for machines on
> > the same network I only have to set printer by hand once with
> > system-config-printer.
> > It seems that this feature no longer exists in Fedora 8. What is the way
> > to copy printer configuration now ? should I just copy everything
> > under /etc/cups ?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > TLP
>
> Are they all using the same printer. If they are and they are on the
> same lan no copying is needed. All the machines will use the printer
> configured with cupsd.conf on one of them. The client.conf makes that
> happen.

I don't understand that. Could you elaborate ?

Right now there are two situation. One situation, is that I have 1 machine
that acts as a print server with the printer physically connected to it (e.g
via USB port). Say I have 5 other computers on the LAN, I have to configure
printer on each of those 5 computer to use the same print server, right ? How
do I avoid doing "system-config-printer" five times on those machine ?

A second situation is that the printer sits on the network (e.g a printer with
ethernet and HP Jet Direct protocol). If I have multiple computer that tries
to use that printer, how do I set it up once and just copy the configuration
among those computers ?

On each of the case, I use to be able to just configure printer once with
system-config-printer, then do something like
"printconf-tui -Xexport > settings.xml", copy around the settings.xml file,
and do "printconf-tui -Ximport < settings.xml" for the other computers.

Thanks.
TL