Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 02:08:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 10:29 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> which is an interesting read as well.  Here's a quote taken directly from it
>
> "if you add 'large pieces of originality' to the code which are valid
> for copyright protection on their own, you may choose to put a
> different and separate (must be non-conflicting...) license at the top
> of the file above the existing license." He then suggested, "if you
> wish for everyone to remain friends, you should give code back. That
> means (at some ethical or friendliness level) you probably do not want
> to put a GPL at the top of a BSD or ISC file, because you would be
> telling the people who wrote the BSD or ISC file, 'thanks for what you
> wrote, but this is a one-way street, you give us code, and we take it,
> we give you you nothing back.'"
>

> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Good point, give and take is not a bad way to live. Me, I'm using the
GPL because I expect people to take a shot at it, to give me back
improvements, and the wheel turns. Knowing that is what I want to do,
and knowing beforehand the elements of the GPL license, in my case I'm
happy as a clam. Plus, there is the element of control that no one will
take it and run off to make a buck on it, without getting their pants
sued off. But, I wouldn't want someone to port it to BSD and use their
license to allow others to do that, run with it for a fast buck. Tit for
tat. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339