stop kernel messages from splashing on the console

Vikram Goyal vikigoyal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:14:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am getting these kernel messages on the consoles which I want to avoid
as many times I have to login through them as the system runs in level
3.

I have edited the /etc/syslog.conf as:

#kern.*               /dev/console
kern.*                /var/log/kern_messages
# Everybody gets emergency messages
#*.emerg              *
*.emerg               /var/log/kern_messages

Still the messages are getting splashed on to the ttys.
The messages are:
Jul 27 04:04:55 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE - no information
available: e7xxx CE log register overflow
Jul 27 04:04:56 smcindiaonline kernel: EDAC MC0: CE page 0x7e9eb, offset
0x0, grain 4096, syndrome 0x8304, row 2,channel 1, label "": e7xxx CE

What other tweaks need to done to avoid these?

Thanks & Regards!
vikram...