F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 12:48:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 09:39 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have yet to find out how you can configure a computer to print to
> printers distributed by a remote print serve as well as a local printer
> without editing its cupsd.conf file. Any suggestions?

Use CUPS browsing (Aaron, I'm sure we've been over this before).

CUPS browsing is enabled by default.  All you have to do in Fedora 9 is
start system-config-firewall and select the 'Network Printing Client
(IPP)' check-box, and wait.

The remote CUPS server (on the same subnet) will broadcast UDP packets
describing its queues, and the local CUPS server will automatically make
those queues available to you.

If your remote CUPS server is on a different subnet then you need to
make arrangements to either:

* have those UDP packets forwarded by the network bridge ('directed
broadcast')

or

* tell the local CUPS server the IP address of the remote CUPS server
using 'BrowsePoll' in the cupsd.conf file

Tim.
*/