that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 02:30:41 UTC 2008

On Jul 28, 2008, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > You know I really don't care what you call it, but
>> I do care that you are
>> > systematically driving people away from free software.
>>
>> Away from Free Software or away from Fedora and Linux, that
>                                                       ^
> ^ Do you really mean Linux

Of course.  That's the name of the kernel I'm referring to.

> I thought you were pushing for GNU/Linux.

That's what I use to refer to the combination of the GNU operating
system with the kernel Linux.

> Are you conceding your position?

*sigh*

It feels like you didn't read a word that I wrote :-(

>> are both non-Free Software, and vocally not interested in being
>> Free Software?

> That is not the purpose of the Fedora Project.

The first archived copy of the Fedora Project web page begs to
disagree:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030923215031/http://fedora.redhat.com/

  The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community
  to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively
  from free software.

Everytime a piece of non-Free Software is added, regardless of the
excuse, it becomes more distant from its original goal.