network configuration file

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 02:17:13 UTC 2008

> > By default Fedora uses NetworkManager to connect to
> networks both wired
> > and wireless.  You can change things manually, but it
> is much easier to
> > let NetWorkManger do it for you :)
>
> Didn't you mean it was much easier to remove
> NetworkManager and let tools
> that actually work configure the network for you?
Yes sir!  :)  Pretty much Tom Horsely answered the thread much better than I did.  I referred the OP to Mauriat Miranda's page where the advise is to do the same as what Tom mentioned

# service NetworkManager stop
# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# chkconfig network on
# service network start

> I had occasion to use NM last week... it's the same POS
> it always was.

On a laptop in which one has both a wired network and a wireless network(that works) it is fine to have NetworkManager.  Although it is a pain when dealing with protected networks.  Sometimes one has to retype the password(s) to known networks.

> IMHO the *only* reason you would ever want NM around would
> be if you needed
> to connect to a WPA-protected wireless network.
Very true :)

> --
>  Marc Wilson |     QOTD: On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd
> say...  oh, somewhere
>  msw at cox.net |     in there.
>
> --

Regards,