install woes

whoosh whoosh777 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 09:29:05 UTC 2008

first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,

but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.

I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
it freezes up at the test media screen.

I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
failed!

I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
choose language screen.

The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.

so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a language"

screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.

I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.

when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for Ubuntu).

I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and Windows XP

all the time without problem.

I decided to look at FC8 instead, unfortunately there dont appear to be
CD's, I dont want to spend 5 hours downloading the DVD and find the same
freeze up problem.