EXIM - append advert

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Jul 30 17:21:34 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:53:37 +0100
> Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I've been asked to add a gif containing an advert to all outgoing emails.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas how to do this using Exim?
>
> Its not doable. You can botch it but it will cause badness. Technically
> it doesn't work out sanely

That's silly.  Of course it's doable.  MIME allows nesting, so there's
no reason to modify MIME parts.

I wrote a filter for the Courier mail server that does this, on a
customer's behalf:
http://www.dragonsdawn.net/~gordon/courier-pythonfilter/latest/filters/add_signature.py

Not that I *like* adding signatures.  I think it's a bad practice that
people abuse, mostly to add disclaimers or demands that have no legal
backing.  I'm just saying that it's possible to do this and not break
anything.