Any LiveCD/USB experts in the house?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:13:58 UTC 2008

I have a working USB live install of F9 with a 1GB overlay. However, I have
had to start over on a few occasions because trying to get certain updated
packages breaks things.

My observations when trying to update:
yum - Works
kernel - Works (improved wireless drivers)
firefox - Works
udev - Breaks booting something about loading the 50-udev rules file even
though it kept the old one (.rpmnew for the new one)
xorg - Breaks X, it goes into an infinite loop trying to start X instead of
only trying 3 times.

Is it possible to have a special excludes file for yum just for live
installs? That way it would prevent customized packages from being replaced
and breaking things.

I'm not worried about having a fully updated system on a USB flash drive
(though it would be nice) but I do want to keep the kernel and other
packages I use updated.

Thanks,
Richard