Yumex cleaned my system..... How do I contact yum-team?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 1 00:50:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 22:27 +0200, DB wrote:
> I've (eventually) installed F9, with a selection of odds & ends, and
> found that yumex SEEMED to be a better way of updating & installing than
> the Gnome Add/Remove Software.  My problem comes when I try to remove
> "something" (e.g. CUPS) when yumex seems to consider every application
> that uses or links to CUPS as being a dependency.  In my naive, trusting
> way (!), I assumed the 223 listed dependencies were sort of .dlls which
> CUPS had added to everything that needed to print.  Oh, how wrong can
> you be????? 223 deleted apps later & I had a bare bones system - even
> yumex was gone! & most of Gnome!

Yes, you'll find some dependencies perplexing.  CUPS is (rather badly)
considered to be a core essential (*).  Lots of things support it as a
printing system, and depend on it for printing.

As far the system is concerned, that makes it a dependency for those
other things.  Not a dependency *if* you need to print, but simply a
dependency needed by those things.  It doesn't know why, and can't make
that type of judgement.

And it snowballs.  As you remove one thing, it removes anything that
depended on it, and everything else that depended on them, ad infinitum.

* For systems that don't need to print, and never will, it's a stupid
dependency.  As stupid as requiring a sound system on a computer with no
sound hardware, networking on a computer with no networking hardware,
video on a system with no video hardware, et cetera.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.