png2txt -

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jul 1 18:40:55 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 16:26 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Bob Goodwin USA
>> <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

>>> Yes, I discovered that requirement but now I am stumped by -
>>>
>>>   The command line is:
>>>   tesseract <image.tif> <output> [-l langid]
>>>
>>> I thought "-l enUS" might work but no go there.
>>>
>>> There's no man page, only a README and that doesn't tell me about the langid
>>> other than it wants it.  Without it I get very strange looking text.
>> Unfortunately, the OCR programs working in Linux are not very good
>> yet. In case you have access to Acrobat Professional, use it instead;
>> the results are usually excellent.
> ----
> I've never used Acrobat Professional for OCR but I have gotten excellent
> results from tesseract on Linux.
>
> OP should check out...
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061210115516438&query=tesseract
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676

I do some similar thing, non-OCR but working with scanned text, and I
use the netpbm package. First I convert the original format to a
greyscale image (aka pgm), then convert that to a bilevel image (aka
black and white) with "pgmtopbm -thr" and setting the value of the
transition as needed (-val option). Those images are then easily
converted to tif or whatever you need, in my case jbig images for bext
compression.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>