Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Björn Persson listor3.rombobeorn at tdcpost.se
Tue Jul 1 21:33:55 UTC 2008

måndagen den 30 juni 2008 skrev Beartooth:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 02:35:00 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 16:45 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >> (The machine was built for me, to my budget, by an electronic friend;
> >> but I haven't found a way to ask it what video card it has, and I hate
> >> to ask him to dig through his records (if any) to find out.)
> >
> > You can try "dmidecode" (it's a command line tool).
>
> 	Well, at least some of that is in English. I went through it,
> line by line, a couple of times. But all I could see that might be
> relevant was this :
>
> 	=====		=====		=====
> Handle 0x0023, DMI type 10, 6 bytes.
> On Board Device Information
>         Type: Video

The DMI data doesn't come from the various pieces of hardware themselves. It's
all stored in a memory on the motherboard, so it doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with what hardware is actually installed. It seems only big
corporations have tools to write to the DMI memory.

> 	Is there something else I should be looking for?? What I know of
> hardware would go in a gnat's eye -- and never discommode the gnat.

Try running lspci and looking for words like "display", "graphics" and "VGA".

Björn Persson