ifdown. is it really down?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 2 04:03:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 16:21 +0000, g wrote:
> i have 2wire configured so that nothing comes in unless i initiate.
>
> running test at grc.com and thru bellsouth.net, i show to be full stealth,
> as ping reply is also disabled.
>
> only way, to my understanding, my ip address does not show. i may be wrong,
> but i do not know where it leaks, if it does.
>
> if i have nothing up, ie, 'ifdown' has run, or fresh boot, no tbird or ffox,
> or any other internet connecting program, i see no flicker. i have sat and
> watched for this for 15 - 20 minutes.
>
> if during this time, i run 'yum update' or any derivative, or ping, i get
> back a message that ethernet is disconnected or unable to connect.
>
> if i start tbird and still 'ifdown', i will get a flicker from ethernet led
> on dsl modem at a 2 minute intervals, as i have it set to check every 2
> minutes, and there is no other flicker.

Just wondering:  Are you using NetworkManager?

When I installed Fedora 9, and was trying to resolve a problems with
various daemons that needed a working network, I played around with ifup
and ifdown, and noticed that they weren't working properly.  A taken
down network was otherwise seen as still up, but not actually working.
And trying to bring a network back up again was hit and miss, it worked,
it didn't work, the network status was correct and incorrect.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.