Yum auto mirroring?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 2 04:23:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 11:17 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> The problem is that the concept of changing the mirrorlist to a
> specific URI  doesn't work well for a set of people who maintain their
> own machines and don't know/care what distribution/version others are
> using even though they are in the same building behind the same proxy
> cache - and it's not that great to have to edit files on every machine
> to get reasonable behavior even if the people do manage to coordinate
> this.

There's ways around that.

A moderately simple thing to do would be make a RPM to set up YUM for
your locale cache.  That gives users a one-step setup.

Alternatively, one could probably get Squid to do something special when
YUM requests the mirror list (re-write the mirror list to suit your
network).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686