Google toolbar for Firefox

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jul 2 14:17:35 UTC 2008

stan wrote:

>> I installed the google toolbar in firefox 2 days ago,
>> but when I tried to install it on another machine today
>> I got the message:
>> "Google Toolbar for Firefox 3.1.20080605L could not be installed
>> because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.0b5."
>> I assume from this that the toolbar was updated very recently.
>>
>> Is there a version of the toolbar that is compatible
>> with the current version of Firefox in standard Fedora?
>>

> Firefox 3.0b5 is the beta that came with the release of Fedora 9.  It
> has been updated to Firefox 3.0 final on the Fedora repositories for
> Fedora 9.  Perhaps that is the source of the problem.  Maybe running
> yum update firefox    will solve the problem?

Thanks very much.
That was indeed the problem.
I had forgotten to "yum update" after installing Fedora-9
from the KDE Live CD on my large (250GB) new disk.

This installation was one up on Windows,
since the Fedora installation to hard disk went without any problems,
while after installing Windows XP on this ThinkPad T43
neither ethernet nor WiFi was working.
I had to use a PCMCIA-to-ethernet card to run Windows Update.