BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jul 2 15:30:27 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> But this was a specific, concrete query.
>> Why does NM wait until the user has logged in to start?
>
> That's a wrong assumption. NM doesn't wait until the user has started.
> It is a system service which starts at boot. nm-applet(GNOME) or
> Knetworkmanager (KDE) is just a frontend to the system service called
> NM. It is possible to write a console frontend  to do a similar task for
> the non-desktop case but NM atleast initially was designed to make
> wireless network access easier. It has grown additional functionality
> over time however.

Sorry, Rahul, you have lost me here.
When I say that NM waits until the user logs in
I mean that NetworkManager does not connect me to my AP
until I login.
Therefore any application that requires me to be connected
has to wait until I login.
This doesn't worry me particularly, but it does puzzle me.

I am asking the reason for this delay.
Perhaps if there was some minimal documentation for NM this might be clear.

The standard network service, on the rare occasions when it works for me,
does not wait for me to login.