BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:45:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 11:09 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> Think about how accessing wireless systems works.  If you have to
> authenticate, then you have to be logged in to do it (or you have to
> preconfigure it).  If you are a mobile user, you may have to do it
> several times--NM makes the process about as convenient as possible.
> Authentication should be tied to a user: user A should not necessarily
> be able to authenticate to user B's WAP unless user A also knows the
> key.  (Apropos another thread, that's why the keyring is used to store
> encrypted keys.)

This actually raises an interesting point. The various discussions of
wireless authentication I've seen don't clearly distinguish between the
user and the device in all cases. Sometimes they do (e.g. when using WPA
in an enterprise mode which requires authenticating the actual user to a
central server) and other times they don't (such as the very common PSK
mode where everyone just knows the magic passphrase).

What happens in the following scenario: User A logs in to his laptop and
authenticates. Without logging out, User B comes along and logs in as
well (on a different virtual console). Can User B now access the network
without needing to authenticate again? If so, NM is treating the
authentication as per-device, if not, then it's per-user. Does it depend
on the WPA mode? I don't know.

poc