Fedora 9 Openchrome drv HP w2207h Monitor was: Re: help with setting up graphics

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Jul 2 19:24:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:53:12 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:50:02 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
	[...]
>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/20491-314293
>> -314303-314303-314303-80720291-80720356.html
>>
>> Should be you monitor?
>
>         That certainly seems to be the one, yes, thanks! But
> I've moused all over it, following every likely link, only to conclude
> there's no finding a driver without knowing your video card.
>
>         So I broke down and sent an email to the guy who
> built my current machines for me, asking if he has records of what he
> put in. Stay tuned.

	My query and the response from the builder are as follows :

	=====		=====		=====
> I've tried the hardware browsing tools I can find. I see
> M2V-TVM on this newest machine, and I seem to be seeing
> A7NVM400 on both the others -- is that possible? Or am I
> looking in the wrong place?

It's possible the two computers have the same motherboards.
That particular one was very good with several updates and
series available for almost 2 years. It's also possible
that one is an A7N8X-VM and the other is an A7N8X-VM/400
which was released about a year later. This series uses the
nVidia nForce2 video adaptor.

The M2V-TVM has a VIA DeltaChrome Graphics Controller.
	=====		=====		=====

	Translation : that means what I call machine #1 (now running F8)
has the VIA DeltaChrome Graphics Controller, while what I call #2 and #3
both have the nVidia nForce2 video adaptor.

	Meanwhile, fwiw, I took #1 out from behind the KVM switch,
meaning to try again to upgrade, hit a large snag, thought better of the
attempt, and put it back. In the process, all three machines got rebooted.

	On all three reboots, X failed; I logged in as root, ran system-
config-display, logged back out, logged in as user, and commanded startx.

	On all three, I got a display -- a bad one; ran the display
applet (whose Properties give /usr/bin/system-config-display as its
command), logged out, and repeated the exercise at least once, till I got
each to run 1280x1024 given under Settings and "generic lcd 1280x1024"
under Hardware. That's not optimal, of  course, on a 1680x1050 monitor;
but it's more usable, I find, than some of the other things that get
substituted for it, such as iirc 1440x900 or 1400x1050 -- more usable, at
least, in that the monitor adapts by stretching in ways that gripe me
less.

	Upshot : I *think* what I now need is to discover what drivers to
get, and where, for the VIA DeltaChrome Graphics Controller and the
nVidia nForce2 video adaptor. And then, of course, to install them on the
right machines. Right?