Can't get CNN video sound ?? -[SOLVED]

Antti J. Huhtala ahuhtal4 at welho.com
Fri Jul 4 02:46:07 UTC 2008

to, 2008-07-03 kello 17:59 -0400, William Case kirjoitti:
> Thanks Craig;
>
> On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 14:32 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 17:25 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 16:55 -0400, William Case wrote:
> [snip]
> > ----
> > you must not be checking too hard because
> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/9/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/
> >
> > shows both an i386 and an x86_64 version
>
> Never been there before.  Always relied on yum or yumex; neither showed
> the 32 bit libflashsupport.  Went to the everything site, clicked on the
> rpm.  It downloaded and installed itself -- now I have sound.
>
> [snip]
> --
> Regards Bill;

Guess I have to update my posts on this subject, too:

Just out of curiosity I logged out of my usual Gnome desktop and logged
in KDE. There I started Firefox and - lo and behold - I had sound both
on CNN and Youtube!
Going back to Gnome, same thing again: sound on CNN and Youtube. I did
not update or install anything between no-sound and sound experiences.
Just changing from one desktop to another seems to have flipped whatever
bit was in wrong state - and it stayed put when changing back to Gnome.

Whatever the true explanation is, I had no sound on flash videos just a
few hours earlier. I also did not adjust anything such as ALSA mixer
settings or the like. It's a mystery to me...

Antti