Thunderbird and junkmail

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Jul 4 03:56:53 UTC 2008

Ian Chapman wrote:
> Richard England wrote:
>
>>> Does anybody have any idea why I can't get thunderbird to
>>> automatically move junk mail that ...
>> OS version?
>
> Fedora 9
>
>> Thunderbird version?
>
> 2.0.0.14
>
>> Settings you have in place (filters)?
>
> Yes I have filters in place but only for one account which sorts out
> the various mailing lists into sub folders, however all email accounts
> are affected the same way. According to the manual, junk mail
> filtering is done after the normal message filtering. The spam is
> being left in the inbox albeit marked as such and marked as read. Just
> for some reason thunderbird won't move it to the junk folder
> automatically.

I'm not an expert and I'm still running F8 but I AM using TBird 2.0.0.14.

There are two locations that you can set for junk mail.

The first is via Edit > Preferences and the "Junk" tab.  Here you can
set the default Junk mail settings. Here I have set 'When I mark
messages as junk, move them to the accounts "junk" folder'.  I also have
"Mark messages determined to be junk as read"  set.

The second applies to account specific junk mail filters which you reach
by Edit > Account Settings and selecting "Junk Settings" under your
email account. Here I have the following set:
 - Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
 - Do not mark mail as junk if the sender is in: "Personal Address Book"
 - Trust junk mail headers set by: SpamPal
 - Move new junk messages to:
    "Junk" folder on : <my account>
 - Automatically delete junk mail older than 7 days.

Of course there are settings here you may wish to modify but this has
been working for me for some time. I would verify that both sets of
settings are as you wish them to be.

HTH, but remember, I haven't done this on F9 yet. I have yet to convert
my primary workstation to F9.

~~R