F9: Scanning with canon lide-30 (USB) produces awful noises

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 4 08:32:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 09:48 +0200, joachim.backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de wrote:
> my scanner is an USB scanner, Canon Lide-30. Since some weeks,
> sometimes when scanning, the scanner produces awful noises during scan
> (like a saw), and the scanner input is unusable.

I've had something similar, but my scanner is old, and the toothed belt
that drives the sled up and down isn't as flexible as it used to be.  If
I pull the belt out of the mechanism, it doesn't spring back into a
circular shape, it stays in a long thin loop, as if it were still
wrapped around the cogs.  Sometimes it does skip some teeth the first
time I use it after it's sat untouched for weeks, or months.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.