How to install the old kernel?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 4 13:14:17 UTC 2008

Ivan Cat wrote:
 > Have you tried using --force parameter?

Don't do that!

Using --force is a last resort for when all else fails and you know why
and you understand what --force is going to do.  RPM doesn't refuse to
install packages on a whim, it's trying to stop you from screwing things up.

For most packages you can use --oldpackage to tell it that you know the
package you're tring to update to is older than the current package.

Kernels are different though.  You can parallel install serveral
kernels, so you'd usuall use rpm -i oldkernel.rpm rather than rpm -U.

You can then use the new kernel by going into the grub menu on boot and
selecting the older kernel from the list of available kernels.  At this
stage you can rpm -e the newer kernel pacakage if you really want to get
rid of it all together.

Simon.