BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jul 4 18:08:19 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/F9Common#networkmanager-static
>>
>> I read this, and followed the instructions there as well as I could,

> First, I haven't actually tired this yet, as I haven't had time to
> install F9 on any of my machines.  But I will have a chance sometime
> soon, maybe this weekend.

I've tried it with various versions of ifcfg-eth1 .
(It was suggested to me that giving an IPADDR when using dhcp
might confuse NM.)

In any case, my experience has been that as soon as I move ifcfg-eth1
to /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ , NM stops working,
with the message "You have been disconnected ..."

(So at least NM must be looking at this file.
I'm pretty sure it didn't do that earlier in its life.)

> nm-applet doesn't start until you log in, but NetworkManager starts at
> boot if it is set to do so.  My understanding is that NM (the service)
> should start an interface at boot if ifcfg-<device> is set up correctly.
> It's likely that mobile users wouldn't want an interface to come up if
> it wasn't under their control (through nm-applet).

Depends what you mean by a "mobile user".

Personally, I would like NM to try to connect
to the last ESSID it succeeded in connecting to,
and if it can't connect then ask me which of the ESSIDs it sees
I want to connect to.

Just like Windows XP, in fact, which seems to me to have this about right.

> I think I've seen that the NM service will be set to start earlier in
> the boot sequence in a soon-to-be-released update.  The longer-term
> solution would be to have services that require a network understand how
> to wait for one to come up (through dBus, for example).

Actually, it is not too difficult to start them
in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ .

I just don't think it is a very rational arrangement.