How to install from tar.gz2

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 16:17:24 UTC 2008

On 7/5/08, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> The real answer is to find a prebuilt rpm package that you can install,
> rather than mess around with the tarball. Most popular packages are already
> available, as installable rpms, from Fedora or companion repositories.

I agree, but not all packages are in rpms.

Sam is right, if you do install such a non-rpm package, it may cause
havoc with other things.  But GNU packages are usually fairly benign
in that they tend to use their own directories under /usr/local/lib
and /usr/local/include.  The INSTALL file should explain the hazards
of the installation.

And getting advice from others such as on this list is a good idea if
there are any doubts.

-Tom