Fedora 9 install problem

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 6 00:34:36 UTC 2008

Rance Hall writes:

> X based config tools work fine.  but startx fails and locks up the system.
> As does system-config-display.
>
> I have an MSI K9VGM-V mobo that uses an integrated VIA chrome9 graphic adapter.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction please, I just wanna get
> this installed.

Google often points people in the right direction, in situations like that.
Next time, always try your luck with Google. A brief Google search found the
following likely course of action:

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/printthread.php?t=192362

Based on that thread, I suggest the following course of action:

1) Boot with a VESA console. Add "vga=791" to the kernel boot command line.
At the grub prompt, press enter, then 'E' to edit the kernel boot command
line, append "vga=791" to the end, then press enter and 'B' to boot. The
kernel should boot up with a fairly safe 1024x768x16 VESA framebuffer.

2) You should now be able now to run system-config-display and set up
VESA-based X. VESA X is very slow, and is only good enough for a basic,
non-accelerated desktop. Your only goal here to get system-config-display to
give you a working xorg.conf file.

3) Reboot. Make sure that that openchrome xorg driver is installed. Edit
xorg.conf, and force the openchrome driver into xorg's configuration, see
the fedoraforum thread for info. Start X, cross your fingers, and hope that
the openchrome driver knows what to do.

If it doesn't work, post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of the
"lspci -v" command to the xorg mailing list: