Sunday Morning idle queries ??

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:10:04 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 10:16 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;

Hi Bill,

> Just wondering about a few things:
>
> 1) I noticed a program in the latest update list called 'augeas' for
> editing config files.  I have gone to their site etc.-- looks
> interesting.  Has anyone have experience using it and would like to
> comment?

Installing it now to check it out. Nice idea, as long as they can keep
the config file descriptions in sync with the various packages.

> 2) I have just installed kmod-nvidia from livnia.  I have been watching
> the discussion here on its effectiveness re: Xorg etc.  It seems to work
> fine for me.  Now the question is: which is the best 3D application
> (window manager??) to use with it?  Compiz?

No opinion. I presume if you have a fancy graphics card you got it for
some sepcific reason, otherwise you don't need it. Nowadays onboard
video chipsets are more than enough for everyday use, for many values of
"everyday" (I can even run Compiz on my Intel 965, I just can't be
bothered).

> 3) My project for the next while is to work out how various multimedia
> work.  The more I delve into the subject the more confusing it gets.
> I can find lots of info on the various pieces of hardware used, but then
> what?  How do various software components fit together e.g. gstreamer,
> xine, Totem, ripping, burning, editing, codecs, audio (drivers), video
> (drivers), etc., etc.  Info and howtos on individual pieces of software
> exist, but I can't seem to find anything online or a textbook that puts
> it all together in an overview.  Wikipedia, for example, is full of
> stubs on this subject.

Good luck with that (really). It's a definite hole that needs to be
filled. I'm sure if you do it collaboratively, maybe as a Wiki, people
will be glad to contribute what they know.

Cheers

poc