Latest updates break graphic start of Fedora

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Jul 7 13:45:35 UTC 2008

> 2008/7/7 Mike Burger <mburger at bubbanfriends.org>:

>> Please see some of my contribution to this thread.
>>
>> I'm having a similar issue to Antonio's...I've got a fully updated F9
>> install, and I noted that as of a couple of kernel releases ago, my
>> workstation, which boots to runlevel 5, does not actually appear to
>> start
>> up the X desktop either.  Instead, it switches to TTY7 with a blank
>> screen
>> and blinking cursor.
>>
>> What I need to do, to get around this, is ALT-F1, log in, init 3 and
>> then
>> init 5 in order to get the system to actually bring up the X login
>> screen.
>
> Mike,
>
> have you read my final report saying that I have eventually solved the
> problem??? It was a graphic driver from test-updates that was causing
> the problem: now I have gone back to a fully F9 system and evrrything
> is o.k. For my info, which graphic card do you use???

I did see that, yes.

I'm not using any "test" drivers, that I'm aware of.  My video card is an
Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400.

For what it's worth, I'm (finally) looking at my my Xorg.0.log and
Xorg.0.log.old.

Xorg.0.log.old ends with:

(II) Loader running on linux
(++) using VT number 7

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: VT_WAITACTIVE failed: Interrupted system call

While Xorg.0.log, which is created one minute later (after running init 3
; init 5) runs successful.

Might be some sort of timing issue...but I can't imagine what might be
causing such a time-out.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org