Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Jul 7 19:37:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:51:51 +0100
Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> Binary modules usually last only a few releases before changes in the
> kernel break them by accident anyway so I would assume that if a binary
> driver vendor goes under the clock is ticking.

I wouldn't say "by accident" - It has been my experience that
most of the time, the breakage is not only highly deliberate, but
triggered mostly by the high incidence of extreme OCD which kernel
developers seem to suffer from, causing them to make fantastic
wholesale changes to driver interfaces for utterly trivial
cosmetic reasons which add no stability or functionality, but
merely relieve their obsessive need to correct some "flaw" which
no one else can perceive :-).