Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 20:38:10 UTC 2008

> developers seem to suffer from, causing them to make fantastic
> wholesale changes to driver interfaces for utterly trivial
> cosmetic reasons which add no stability or functionality, but

We make wholesale changes to get the code right, and to fix design flaws.
One of the beauties of the open source model is that we can correct stuff
by fixing APIs at source level rather than suffer them for ten years as
happens in the proprietary world.

I don't actually know of anyone specifically trying to break stuff, while
I know of several cases where changes were staged specifically to help
people adapt.