Please, please please!

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 18:45:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 14:17 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >

> > Like everyone else I sometimes forget to snip, but the problem gets really bad
> > from time to time.  I particularly chose to start a new thread because I
> > didn't want to point to any single person.  I have seen some threads get to
> > the point of 24MB for just a few lines.  For all of us, it's an annoying
> > waste of time and space.  For some people it's an even worse waste of money
> > and bandwidth.
> >
> > Anne
> >

> You are a 100% right on that Anne, but if the orignal post is snipped,
> the third, fourth person who picks up on the RE:
> doesn't see what the orignal  post was, to properly give a good answer
> to the problem.
> But I do agree about removing a lot of waste.

As long as the snip is marked (such as with [snip] or [...]) this should
not be a problem. Either check back in the thread or look at the
archives. The practice of quoting the whole history of a conversation,
which I also admit to doing in occasion, appears to come from commercial
practice and is really out of place on a mailing list.

poc

PS No hard and fast rule will always be right, e.g. I didn't snip this
post because so far the thread is short. It's a matter of judgment.