sendmail

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jul 9 01:32:13 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
>> Dispatcher directory.  That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
>> network goes down and up.  A smart script would check whether it should
>> restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
>> service.

Knute Johnson:
> Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?

I've attached a not-so-intelligent script for restarting the NTP daemon
(it starts or restarts it, but doesn't "do nothing" if NTPD were
manually stopped beforehand).  When a network interface comes up, it
starts NTP if it's not already running, it restarts it if were.  And
when the interface goes down, it stops it.  The LOGGER bit, in it, is
about putting entries into /var/log/messages, as well.

You could modify it to start/restart sendmail, or any other service, and
modify it leave to leave the service running all the time.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.