tor and privoxy not working

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:08:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 21:50 -0400, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
[...]
> I forgot to start tor itself. Everything seems to work. Funny I
> installed tor using yum but I can't find it on the download mirrors. Is
> tor part of fedora?

#  yum info tor
Loaded plugins: protectbase, refresh-packagekit
0 packages excluded due to repository protections
Available Packages
Name       : tor
Arch       : x86_64
Version    : 0.1.2.19
Release    : 1.fc9
Size       : 428 k
Repo       : fedora
Summary    : Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (The onion router)
URL        : http://tor.eff.org
License    : BSD
           : proxy using the SOCKS protocol. The local proxy chooses a path through a set of relays, in which each relay
           : knows its predecessor and successor, but no others. Traffic flowing down the circuit is unwrapped by a
           : symmetric key at each relay, which reveals the downstream relay.  Warnings: Tor does no protocol cleaning.
           : That means there is a danger that application protocols and associated programs can be induced to reveal
           : information about the initiator. Tor depends on Privoxy and similar protocol cleaners to solve this problem.
           : This is alpha code, and is even more likely than released code to have anonymity-spoiling bugs. The present
           : network is very small -- this further reduces the strength of the anonymity provided. Tor is not presently
           : suitable for high-stakes anonymity.

poc