sendmail

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed Jul 9 02:50:30 UTC 2008

Tim;

I may be way off base here; I am not up on things dealing with networks
in general and Network Manager in particular.  But ...

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:02 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> An alternative would be to put a restart script into the Network Manager
> >> Dispatcher directory.  That way sendmail will be restarted any time the
> >> network goes down and up.  A smart script would check whether it should
> >> restart a running service, or do nothing to a deliberately stopped
> >> service.
>
> Knute Johnson:
> > Could you provide a little more detail on exactly how to do this?
>
> I've attached a not-so-intelligent script for restarting the NTP daemon
> (it starts or restarts it, but doesn't "do nothing" if NTPD were
> manually stopped beforehand).  When a network interface comes up, it
> starts NTP if it's not already running, it restarts it if were.  And
> when the interface goes down, it stops it.  The LOGGER bit, in it, is
> about putting entries into /var/log/messages, as well.
>
> You could modify it to start/restart sendmail, or any other service, and
> modify it leave to leave the service running all the time.
I think I had a similar problem with Boinc; got lots of suggestions from
the list.  Some of them even worked.  I filed a bug against Network
Manager and got the following response:
             Status|NEW                         |CLOSED
         Resolution|                            |NOTABUG

------- Additional Comments From dcbw at redhat.com  2008-07-02 19:04 EST
-------
Boinc is probably starting so soon after NetworkManager that the network
is not up yet.  It's technically a bug in Boinc that it doesn't wait for
a network connection and periodically re-try to send/grab the data.  But
for the moment, you can add the line:

NETWORKWAIT=yes

to /etc/sysconfig/network and startup will block for 10 seconds or until
a network connection is up, whichever is sooner.

This solution avoids the restart.  Maybe this will work for sendmail as
well.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2