[F9] laptop not booting - reinstall MBR?

Don Levey fedora-list at the-leveys.us
Wed Jul 9 19:41:48 UTC 2008

Phil Meyer wrote:
> Don Levey wrote:
>> Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>>> You can:
>>>
>>> # fdisk -l
>>>
>>> to get a list of partitions and partition types.  Hopefully you can
>>> identify which ones are /boot, swap, and /
>>>

>> Done - no problem.  There's /, /home, and swap.
>>

> the reason grub didn't work, was because it couldn't find the /boot
> partition while chrooted.
>
> if still in rescue mode:
>
> mount /mnt/sysimage first, then mount /mnt/sysimage/boot with the boot
> partition, THEN chroot /mnt/sysimage and grub-install should work

But there is no separate /boot partition.  The /boot directory lives in
/.  I used to make a separate /boot partition, but was told a while back
(perhaps 2 years or so) that this was no longer necessary.

> You might also want to check to see if the system will boot after /boot
> was fscked, and failing that, to see if the rescue would now work properly.

Running fsck on / did nothing.

> Other things to look for:
>
> after mounting /mnt/sysimage and /mnt/sysimage/boot
>
> does /mnt/sysimage/boot/grub exist and have a grub.conf in it?

It does exist, and doesn't look corrupted in any way.  Just for the sake
of thoroughness, I changed the "kernel" line to point to /dev/sda1
rather than the device ID.  No dice.

> install-grub as described does not attempt to repair a broken grub.conf

Thanks for your patience, and help,
  -Don