Wine 1 and Office 2003?

Mike C mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:33:53 UTC 2008

Frank Murphy <frankly3d-fedoracore <at> utvinternet.com> writes:

> Have a look at Crossover Linux, if you don't wan't to run\virtualise
> windows .
>
> http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/group/?app_parent=779;
>
> This is a report on office 2003

I do use Crossover too (I have been a paid up member for about 5 years) but
in this case I run Office XP in Crossover but want to test Office 2003 in
wine, especially since wine has now nominally reached maturity with the
1.0 release.  However it seems not so easy to get at a good up to date
howto for running office apps (which are essential for me to be compatible
with other people I share documents with who use MS).

I note from the link above to the "status" page for apps in Crossover
that Excel 2003 does not have a test link for cxo beyond 6.2.0 and
currently version 7.0 was released about a month ago.

So I would still like to pursue getting Excel 2003 to run under wine.

Admittedly I have not tried VMWare but I note the other posting saying
that VMWare does not run in F9 at present (unless of course someone
knows a workaround)