Fedora 9 putting email into some sort of searchable db?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:05:02 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 13:39:03 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 12:46 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > Is it possible for me to put all my emails from my desktop box into some
> > sort of db\ thing.
> >
> > Which I could also then search from the laptop by ssh if away,
> > (centos5x server).
> >
> > "fedora9 putting email into db" into google not much help to me.
>
> ----
> grep is the over achieving search tool and if you're going to use Linux,
> you should learn to use grep.
>
> If you ran cyrus-imapd and saved all your e-mails in imap, cyrus will
> index your e-mails each night for very fast searching.

If you use beagle to index your files you already have a search engine,
although many people stop beagle, saying it uses too many resources.

In KDE4.x The Semantic Desktop takes a different approach, the result of which
is a very fast search.  If you are using KDE4, install the plasmoid Desktop
Search to the panel, or simply hiut F12,

Anne