F9: Man pages missing/broken?

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jul 10 15:49:56 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:16:21 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
>
> > > What do you get for "strace man -k grub" and "strace man man"?
>
> > It appears that the alliance package has messed up the man pages?
>
> That cannot be concluded, since you only showed the strace for the
> command
> that works for you. The alliance pkg altered the linker's search path,
> unrelated to your problem.
>
> > Clearly there
> > is an alliance directory with it's man pages but perhaps they are using
> > a directory
> > path with a missing /man sibdirectory?  I will look into this
> further to
> > see where
> > or why the /usr/lib/alliance directory is defined in the man search
> path.
>
> Examine your environment variables after logging in. grep for "MAN"
> as it could be that $MANPATH or $MANSECT or others are different than
> what is found in /etc/man.config -- that would override man.config
> with non-working values.
>
> "man -k" is same as "apropos" and fetches info from the whatis db,
> a path that is built-in and different from $MANPATH.

Ok, as a test, I reinstalled Alliance and when I log in
as su - or su -l, I noticed that:

# env | grep MAN
MANPATH=/usr/lib/alliance/man

So where does this happen?  I looked into root's $HOME and found
no place where that entry is installed.  I looked at /etc/man.config and
saw nothing added there.  Where does this get installed?

I also did:
# MANPATH=

then did:
man man

and it worked.

So why does Alliance insist on forcing MANPATH on users like that?

Really odd.

Dan