How to change order of services

Andrea mariofutire at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 21:50:30 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> When you turned on wpa_supplicant with chkconfig, it creates symbolic
> links in the various rc.d directories which begin with either S or K
> (start or kill) and the numbers (priorities).  Just changing the file in
> /etc/init.d doesn't change these links.  You have to use chkconfig to
> turn them off or delete them, and then add them back again to get the
> new links.  *OR*  you could change the file by hand, and then change all
> of the links names to contain the new numbers by hand.  One is easier
> than the other.  You decide which.

This is the content of rc3.d

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-07-10 21:56 S09wpa_supplicant -> ../init.d/wpa_supplicant
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2008-07-10 21:56 S10network -> ../init.d/network

which is correct. Exactly what I want.
I think this has been generated by "ntsysv" when I deselected and reselected wpa_supplicant.
But the next time I do "yum update" for some reason wpa_supplicant will go back to its original
position.

It's like there are 2 ways of configuring those services and they might not be synchronized.

I've noticed that in each file, after the info for chkconfig there is a "new" section:

for "network":

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: $network
# Should-Start: iptables ip6tables
### END INIT INFO

for "wpa_supplicant":

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: wpa_supplicant
# Required-Start: $local_fs messagebus
# Required-Stop: $local_fs messagebus
# Default-Start:
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: start and stop wpa_supplicant
### END INIT INFO

I will try to add wpa_supplicant to "Required-Start" of the network.

Andrea