Fedora 9 will not update

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 08:51:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:50:07 -0400, Bob Barrett wrote:

> Because the problem seemed to be with yum, I didn't think all the stuff
> I had removed was relevant.

Only with the full output one can draw conclusions. Some further below.

> When running "yum list installed..." it said
> had the two packages.

Correct, but during the "yum update" it shows whether there are
updates. And since there are updates for the two packages you queried,
it doesn't become clear what requires the old packages.

> When doing an update, it said it didn't have them.

Because it no longer sees them if there are updates to these pkgs.

> I haven't updated in some time because I thought the problem may be fixed
> with a later update.

Please show:

  rpm -q yum perl-version perl-Pod-Escapes kdevelop-libs

(or package-cleanup --dupes  if yum-utils are installed)

Somehow I think you may have duplicate packages installed.
Some oddities in your yum output:

> ---> Package perl-version.i386 3:0.74-30.fc9 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-22.fc9 for package: perl-version

> ---> Package perl-Pod-Escapes.i386 1:1.04-30.fc9 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: perl = 4:5.10.0-22.fc9 for package:
> perl-Pod-Escapes

These two make no sense as the new "perl-version" and "perl-Pod-Escapes"
require the new "perl = 4:5.10.0-30.fc9" (note the release 30) and not the
older installed one (22). These packages are built from the same source
package. They belong to eachother. The dependency on the old 22.fc9
release does not come from the updated packages.

The same happens to several of your Perl packages. Please show
that you don't have multiple releases of those packages installed.

> ---> Package kdevelop.i386 9:3.5.2-2.fc9 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: kdevelop = 9:3.5.2-1.fc9 for package:
> kdevelop-libs

Same here. The new kdevelop (release 2.fc9) is seen, but an
installed old kdevelop-libs requires the old kdevelop although
there is a new kdevelop-libs (release 2.fc9). "rpm -q kdevelop-libs"
must not return two packages.

There are tools to help with duplicates ("package-cleanup --cleandupes")
or incomplete transactions ("yum-complete-transaction"). Also make
sure you've got the latest Yum ("yum -y update yum").