2,203,458 Radeon Driver Errors

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Fri Jul 11 15:36:53 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 22:51:10 -0400,
>   "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>> GoogleEarth and fglrx have been known in the past to have not played
>> well with each other, and GE is a pain to use without the 3D support if
>> you use the radeon driver.  I have no experience with the radeonhd
>> driver yet (it also does not play well if you even have fglrx
>> installed!).  In the past the combination of GE and fglrx has been known
>> to freeze X on the second invocation of GE.  a Hard freeze, requiring a
>> reboot since all keyboard is lost.  YMMV  More recently, its been better
>> but still not without problems.
>
> The normal ati driver and mesa have been improving. I seem to be getting
> good 3D acceleration on my R530 based card (at least for glxgears) as of about
> 2 weeks ago. My understanding is that the ati driver (xorg-x11-drv-ati)
> is the way forward, not radeonhd.

Maybe, but my experience is that its not there yet.  fglrx doesn't work
on F9 (no support for Xorg 1.4.99), and before that, when Red Hat jumped
to the 2.6.25 kernel, there was no immediate support for that.  I had to
find a driver in a testing repo to fix that problem.

Using the radeon driver, mplayer tells me that my machine is too slow to
play videos.  These are videos that fglrx had no problem playing on FC6.

It may be improving, but it has a long ways to go.

BTW, I have a Mobility Radeon X1600 on this laptop.  Its am M56 video
card (from the radeonhd documentation), whatever *that* means.  Kinda
tough to relate to a driver that "supports R6xx and R5xx cards".  I get
close to 2200 fps with glxgears myself.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com