NetworkManager: How to set caching nameserver?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Jul 11 16:48:05 UTC 2008

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:10 -0400, sean darcy wrote:
>> sean darcy wrote:
>>> NM sets my nameserver based on the isp, which is _very_ slow. I've set
>>> up a local caching nameserver which works well. But how do I tell NM to
>>> use 127.0.0.1??
>>>
>>> I've set up dhclient.conf with a prepend statement. If I just run
>>> dhclient that works, i.e. /etc/resolv.conf has the local nameserver. But
>>> if I just start NM, it doesn't. It looks like NM tells /sbin/dhclient
>>> not to use the .conf file.
>>>
>>> So now I manually edit the resolv.conf file. How can I configure NM to
>>> use the local nameserver?
>>>
>>> sean
>>>
>> And yes, I did try the DNS box in the NM edit connection box. But that
>> appends the local nameserver to the isp nameserver. I want the caching
>> nameserver to be prepended - that is, come first.
>
> 	This is exactly the problem I run into with my corporate VPN (AT&T
> proprietary SSL based POS).  I have to set up dnsmasq to forward only
> certain requests down the VPN (DNS is ssslllooowww down the VPN) and
> certain requests to my local (IPv6) name servers and the rest through
> normal resolution.  I've been searching for a solution myself.
> Unfortunately, all the solutions I've been able to find are outdated and
> already subverted by the NetworkManager developers (dhclient-script
> hooks no longer function with the current verion of NetworkMangler).
>
> 	I have a longer rant that I'm strongly tempted to send.

I'd wouldn't necessarily post your rant here, as most of us here agree
that NM is a bad idea gone wrong.  You should, rather, post your rant as
a nice big, fat bugzilla report on the NM and/or Gnome bugzillas.

It'd also be nice if there was a decent how-to on the various aspects of
the configuraton of wpa_supplicant (what the various "key_mgmt",
"pairwise" and other parameters mean and how to find out what to use,
etc.) so normal non-geeks can sort it out.  As far as I can see, people
submit to NM nastiness because they can't sort those out themselves.

[snip]
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -