F9: Problem with Services tool

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Fri Jul 11 18:38:42 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Friday 11 July 2008 16:31, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > > Somehow, the system-conf-services tool stopped working.
> > > Starting this brings up the tool, it hangs with a blank list
> > > and 'No services selected' in a greyed out right panel.
> > >
> > > I tried to remove and reinstall system-conf-services but
> > > it does not help.
> > >
> > > What can I do to fix this?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Dan
> >
> > Isn't there anyone that can help me solve this one?  I am really
> > pulling out my hair over this supposedly *simple* program
> > and I cannot for the life of me figure out why this sucker hangs!
> >
> > Please tell me what I can do to debug this sucker to understand
> > WHY it hangs.  I have an strace but who wants it?  What does
> > system-config-services require for proper functioning?
> >
> > Yes, I have pored over the man pages and it mentions hanging
> > but *very* limited data.  FYI: it worked until I did *something*
> > (like install many packages) and somehow it broke it.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Dan
>
> Hi Dan. I don't know why the services tool stopped working for you,
> but /sbin/chkconfig is the CLI tool to stop and start services, and
> looking
> in synaptic on my FC2 install under system-config-services, chkconfig
> is a
> dep for it, so it looks like system-config-services is just a graphical
> frontend to chkconfig.
>
> What do you get if you su to root on the CLI, and run chkconfig? It
> should
> give you the following options.
>
> [root at localhost djmons]# /sbin/chkconfig
> chkconfig version 1.3.9 - Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Red Hat, Inc.
> This may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU Public
> License.
>
> usage:   chkconfig --list [name]
>          chkconfig --add <name>
>          chkconfig --del <name>
>          chkconfig [--level <levels>] <name> <on|off|reset>)
> [root at localhost djmons]#
>
> /sbin/chkconfig --list shows the current state of all services
>
> It may be worth a look, as chkconfig appears to be the backend to the
> system-config-services GUI.
>
> 2¢ worth of perhaps nothing.
>
> Nigel.
>
> --

Funnyingly, chkconfig was the only tool that saved me in
en/disabling services that I did not want and yes, it works.

I wonder, however, if chkconfig is improperly set for
s-c-s to be able to hook to it.  Hm.

# chkconfig -v
chkconfig version 1.3.37

Permissions:
-rwxr-xr-x  root root system_u:object_r:bin_t:s0       /sbin/chkconfig

Other than the version difference, it looks ok to me, how about you?