Fedora Core 6 Re-Spin

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Jul 11 20:16:23 UTC 2008

Bill Cody wrote, On 07/11/2008 01:41 PM:
> Problem is that I CANT just get rid of FC6.  I use this in a corporate
> environment and dismantling and moving on is not viable option for me.  I
> have several personal scripts, updates and tweaks that need to be added to
> each FC6 fresh install and I am just trying to find out if I fully update a
> computer to where it is in what I consider a usable and fully updated state,
> can I take an image of that so that in the future when I run the install, it
> is already updated with all my packages.  I know this can be done, I just
> need to know how to do it.

Been a while since I worked at doing something like this... (for DVD output)
The steps go something like:
1) get FC6 install media that you currently have.
2) copy all the data from the install media into one directory structure. (if
there are multiple CDs instead of a DVD, you are essentially building the
DVD's worth of data.)
3) if there are updates in a yum repo somewhere for any of the rpm's in this
directory structure, remove the out of date rpm and insert the new one.
(if the files in the repo and the structure are local there are tools to help,
rvc.)
4) rebuild the hdlist.
5) make sure any kickstart file and isolinux.cfg changes you want to make are
in place.
6) make the ISO, and make sure you use the correct options to make it bootable.
7) burn the disk.

BTW a quick google of a term in one of the scripts I used (for an RHEL) points
out to:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/enigma-list/2002-January/msg02442.html
  From a cursory glance those look like good but out of date scripts. i.e. a
place to start from.

This one looks a little closer to what I used:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2004-May/msg00144.html

and rvc was found here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/rhcd-scripts/rpmvc/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/rhcd-scripts/
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/RedHat-CD-HOWTO/

And of course, even though these guys don't make updated FC6 images... they
_KNOW_ HOW to do it:
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/spins
oooh, just as I was leaving this message, I look at:
http://spins.fedoraunity.org/team-documentation
You might ask them for directions/tools.

Hope this helps.
--
Todd Denniston