Upgrading to Fedora 9 from Fedora 8 fails

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 12 23:55:33 UTC 2008

Douglas Otis writes:

> Is there a simple way out, other than depending upon backups
> working?   I have been doing upgrades in this manner since Fedora 2.
> This is the first time an upgrade resulted in such a puzzle.  Is there
> something about the number 9 and desktop versions from RH?

It would seem so. I think only one of my machines had an event-free upgrade
from F8 to F9. All the other ones broke. Some, rather horridly.

> Should I attempt to install the .fc9 versions of phython?
>
> Advice would be appreciated, to help void making this a worse mess.

If you can boot to a root shell, run 'rpm --rebuilddb' to make sure that
your rpm database is not damaged. Then, mount an F9 install disk. Make sure
that glibc and rpm are upgraded, first, then grub and initrd rpms. Then, rpm
-i the F9 kernel, and reboot. After rebooting, remount the F9 install disk,
and see what happens.