F9: Problem setting resolution and video lockups

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Jul 13 21:02:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, g wrote:

> you did not mention if using gnome or kde and if making changes as user
> or as root, or how you tried

 	My primary desktop is Xfce but I've tried under all of them.

> with kde, under 'administration' select 'display', then under 'display
> settings', select 'hardware', 'monitor type', at 'monitor', click show
> all available monitors, select 'daewood 707b', click ok.
>
> return to 'settings', then 'resolution', select '1280x1024', click ok
> and restart kde.

 	The problem is when I set the monitor as you show above the only
options for resolution are 800x600 and 640x480.  Nothing I do will get me
anything no higher than 800x600.

> if this has been tried, you can go to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' and set up
> display and resolution.

 	Is that old console X config tool still part of Xorg?  Maybe I can
use it (if I can remember what the heck it is).

--
Interesting Boring Blog - http://x-nc.blogspot.com
A combination of insight and inanity for your reading pleasure